As a denture wearer, you know how important your dentures are in your day-to-day life. If a major issue occurs, it’s always best to visit a dentist. However, minor issues can be fixed at home with a denture repair kit.
With these kits, you can temporarily repair issues like detached or cracked dentures. Read on to find our top choices of repair kits, as well as tips for using them.
3 Great Denture Repair Kits
There are hundreds of denture repair kits on the market, and some are better than others. If you run a Google search for the best denture repair kits, you’ll be bombarded with dozens and dozens of options.
That’s why we’ve narrowed down three reliable options that have good reviews. The three kits we’ve chosen each help with resealing, repairing cracks, or replacing missing teeth.
1) Secure Denture Adhesive
Secure Dental Adhesive is one of the most reliable denture adhesive products out there. It boasts 12 hours of holding power, so you’ll only need to use it once per day. Two or three drops of this adhesive along the ridge of your dentures is all it takes for a secure and comfortable application.
The Secure brand is free of any tastes or scents, so you don’t have to worry about it altering the taste of your food.
If you’re finding that your dentures are frequently slipping and sliding and coming unattached multiple times throughout the day, you know how embarrassing and frustrating that experience can be. Try out the Secure brand to see if you experience better adhesion.
2) Dentemp Repair-It
The Dentemp Repair-It kit is intended to help with cracked or broken dentures. This product is zinc-free and has enough for three repairs. Be sure to only use Dentemp for emergency repairs— it shouldn’t be used long-term or on flexible dentures.
You can use the Dentemp repair kit to:
- Fix breaks
- Mend cracks
- Replace missing denture teeth
It’s fast, affordable, and easy to use. Keep some on hand for when you run into an emergency situation.
3) Instant Smile Temporary Tooth Replacement Kit
When your dentures have a missing or broken tooth, you probably don’t feel like showing off your smile. Keep the Instant Smile Temporary Tooth Replacement Kit on hand to repair a missing tooth quickly.
This repair kit comes with 4 shades of tooth replacements, so you can find a realistic fit based on the existing shade of your dentures. The kit also comes with trimming and shaping tools so that you can shape the tooth to fit in your dentures.
How to Use a Denture Repair Kit
Each denture repair kit will have specific instructions for use. Be sure to follow the instructions included in the package. However, most denture repair kits used for repairing broken dentures follow these steps:
- Clean and dry your dentures. Make sure you can fit the pieces of your dentures together.
- Mix the denture repair materials together well.
- Apply a small amount of the repair mixture to the broken edge.
- Press the broken pieces together or into position. Hold them in place for 5 minutes.
- Wipe off any excess material and soak the dentures in hot water for 10 minutes.
- Remove the dentures from the water and dry them gently.
- Use sandpaper to smooth the edges if there are visible rough spots.
- Clean the dentures with the recommended cleaning materials before fitting them back in your mouth
Pros & Cons of Using a Denture Repair Kit
Denture repair kits are nice to have on hand in case of emergencies. But they aren’t always the best option. Consider these pros and cons before relying on repair kits all the time.
✅ Denture Repair Kit Pros
- Affordable and convenient to find
- Made from safe materials
- Available for emergency repairs
- Help tide you over until you can visit the dentist
❌ Denture Repair Kit Cons
- An improper repair can cause complications
- Some products can be challenging to figure out
- Incorrect repairs can lead to additional damage
When to See a Dentist Instead of Using a Repair Kit
Keep in mind that a denture repair kit is only to be used for temporary, emergency repairs. In the following situations, avoid using an at-home repair kit and visit a dentist instead:
- When you need a long-term fix
- If your dentures aren’t fitting properly
- There are missing pieces (you can use a kit to replace a missing tooth, but only temporarily)
- You have pain when wearing your dentures
At the end of the day, you should always schedule an appointment with your dentist whenever an issue arises with your dentures. Use a repair kit to help in the meantime, but never rely on it for a long-term solution.
Visit Wayzata Dental for Your Denture Repairs
We hope this guide on the best at-home denture repair kits proved helpful. The three products listed above are incredibly helpful to have on hand when you experience emergency issues with your dentures. But as we mentioned earlier, it’s always best to schedule an appointment with your dentist whenever you need a denture repair or adjustment. At-home kits should never be used for long-term repairs.
If you live in Minnesota, you can rely on the professionals at Wayzata Dental. We’ll perform detailed work to ensure your dentures are in prime condition and safe for your use.
Simply reach out to Wayzata Dental today to schedule a visit!